This weekend might as well be a national holiday for some – the 145th Kentucky Derby takes place in my home state tomorrow, May 4th and then Sunday, May 5th is the ever popular Cinco de Mayo!
Lots of festivities which often means lots of food and even more drinks. With a few simple swaps, you can still partake in all of the fun and stay on track.
Kentucky Derby parties often feature heavier southern foods like country ham, biscuits and bourbon balls. Try to find the protein being served and enjoy that with some crudite or a salad. Higher protein and higher fiber foods will satisfy your hunger and keep you feeling full.
For the Cinco de Mayo crowd, try to eat fajitas and skip the tortillas, rice and beans. Instead of tortilla chips, scoop up guacamole and salsa with crudite like cucumber slices, bell pepper slices or baby carrots.
Some of y’all are like forget the food, where are the drinks?! Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. I am excited to share two different recipes with you whether you’re a Derby fan or a Cinco de Mayo connoisseur.
The key in both of these will be swapping the traditional simple syrup for liquid stevia drops. Stevia is a natural plant extract that has zero calories and zero carbs, it can be found in liquid or powder form but I recommend using the liquid form for beverages – cheers amigos!
The “NO MULLARKEY” Mint Julep – the signature beverage of the Kentucky Derby!
6 drops of liquid stevia
2 oz bourbon**
8-10 fresh mint leaves
**Since bourbon is the main liquid in this cocktail, it is important to use a high quality bourbon. My personal favorite is Woodford Reserve.
- In a Julep cup or rocks glass, lightly muddle the mint and stevia.
- Add the bourbon and pack in crushed ice (the crushed ice is key!)
- Stir until the cup is frosted on the outside.
- Top with more crushed ice and garnish with a mint sprig.
- Yeehaw! Happy Derby!
The “NO MULLARKEY” Skinny Margarita – salt rim and all!
2.5 oz Tequila
2.5 oz freshly squeezed orange juice OR grapefruit juice
2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
5 drops of liquid stevia
Splash of sparkling water
- Run a wedge of lime across the top of your glass and coat the rim with salt.
- Add all of the ingredients except the sparkling water into a cocktail shaker with a few cubes of ice and shake well and then pour into the glasses.
- Top with a splash of sparkling water and garnish with a fresh lime wedge!
“No Mullarkey” Personal Training
IFBB PRO/WBFF PRO/ISSA CFT